Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Mentally Blogging

Or mental blogger?

I've been thinking about starting a blog for quite a while. Hence, I have some pics of "Finished Objects" that I completed in the fall, preblog.

Several years ago I unwittingly began a series of mostly small art quilts. I did not have the time or powers of concentration to do intricate piecing or applique, so I played around with various photos and scanned objects, printed them on fabric, and quilted away. Here are two of the quilts in that series. I made the printouts maybe a year and a half ago or slightly longer, but just finished quilting them in October.
"Bayou Reflections" 16.5" x 18" copyright 2005

This image was a photograph of bald cypress trees behind my MILs house, reflected in the small body of water there. I heavily manipulated the image, and added hand painted and screened borders. Here's a detail of the quilting.

Here's another quilt from this series, also finished about October. I scanned a tempera painting, then heavily manipulated it.

"Aqua Leaves" 16.5" x 18" copyright 2005

And the detail:

Totally changing the subject, how about some knitting content? I mysteriously started knitting about a year ago just after Christmas. Knitting relaxes me in a way that quilting used to (more about that tomorrow). I don't knit all the time, but apparently this is the season that I am most drawn to it. I have mostly knit scarves, but also completed a hat, cowl, purse, sweater, and most of another last year. Here is my current project,

Details: Artful Yarns Portrait (mohair, viscose, polyester), Color 161
Needles: Size 10 Denise Interchangeables
Pattern: One Skein Portrait Scarf (on ball band)

The scarf is lacey, though that is not apparent here. After starting it I realized that, like trapunto or heavy quilting, lacework shows up better in solid colors. It's still pretty, and has gone really fast. I'm about half way through now.


Allison said...

The quilts are just stunning...a great example of digital printing and quilting. I look forward to seeing more!

Debra said...

Cool work!! Ya done good with your blogging beginning!!

Ellen Lindner said...

Hey Diane, what a GREAT name for your blog! And very appropriate! The colors ARE pretty! I love your Cypress Tree.

Diane D. said...

Thanks, guys! I am blushing. I checked out your blogs/sites too, and I'm impressed. Thanks for stopping by!