Monday, February 20, 2006

Timeout! Equipment Upgrade Needed

Quilters, I know I'm boring you to tears, but cheer up! The Olympics end on Sunday, and we'll return to more quilt related content.

Progress continues on the Sitcom Chic. Sleeve #1 is finito, sleeve #2 about 25% finished.

In my last post I referred to magic loop knitting. I'm really using two circular needles - I told you I didn't know what I was doing, I can't even write the correct name! One of my needles is a Denise Interchangeable (love it!). The other is an Addi Turbo. When I first starting reading knitting blogs, I saw many testimonials about Addi Turbos. These testimonials often ended with something along the lines of "You'd have to pry them out of my cold, dead hands". They are certainly fast. In this instance, they were a little too slippery and blunt tipped for me. I had my knitting arranged so that every time I did the increases they were with the Addis. It was very difficult to do the make ones with the blunt tips. And my hands were hurting some.

Saturday I was knitting away on sleeve #1, and couldn't take it anymore. I headed to the LYS, and ended up with some Addi Naturas (there was a limited selection of brands). Big, big improvement. Knitting the sleeves is much better now, though despite my best efforts I'm still getting some laddering.

My proudest Olympic moment? I can now a) usually spot problems before I go past them, and b) if I miss a problem, I can often go back and fix it. Like this:
Just six months ago this would have made me quiver, but Friday night I did this with no problems. Even if I don't finish the sweater this week, I've still put my knitting skills, such as they are, to the test.

No comments: