Friday, March 10, 2006

Preconceived Notions

Yesterday morning I awoke to two good things - my husband came home on the red eye, and my friend Linda has a blog. She did a great job of detailing the goings on at a quilt retreat I would've loved to have attended. I went last year, and really had a great time.

I discovered something interesting yesterday. When you seam a knitted object, you're supposed to do it from the right side. Duh! The only real seaming I've done was for the underarms of Sitcom Chic. I did it from the wrong side. It looked nearly OK. I figured that it was necessary to do it from the wrong side, because that's how you sew things, right? I'd never read the words alongside the pictures of seaming I'd seen, and do remember looking at those pictures and thinking "Why are they seaming on the right side? That doesn't look right." Good thing I haven't seamed my Ribby Cardi or baby bonnet yet.

When I first started quilting, I assumed that you should use 5/8" seams, because that's how garments are constructed. The instructions I was using didn't say what the seam allowance should be. It's a wonder I ever pieced anything again. Just goes to show you, a little bit of knowledge can be dangerous.

I'll try to come up with some pretty picture later today.

No comments: