Monday, June 15, 2009

Spoonflower Fabrics

Back in March, following Sue Reno's lead, I decided to take the plunge and order some fabric from Spoonflower. These are the two fabric designs I ordered:

This is derived from the background of my quilt The Gathering.

This is derived from the background of a quilt design I'm still working on.

Overall I'm very pleased with the fabrics - the quality is good, and there's an impressive amount of detail. There was some banding, particularly on the top fabric, that probably only I would notice. I'm fairly certain this was a hiccup in the printing process, because there was no banding on other areas of the fabric with the same design elements and colors. For my purposes this wasn't a showstopper.

I ordered the fabrics on a whim, so did not order swatches to make sure the colors would be exactly as expected. I was OK knowing that this would result in some serendipity, but if you want your colors to match something you really should order a swatch.

Does this mean I'll stop printing fabric for my quilts on my own printer? No, but it's a nice alternative if I want yardage of a special design.


kathy said...

Oh yeah! These are gorgeous!!!!

lyric said...

How big are the pieces you ordered?
Did you have to worry about repeats to get yardage?

lovely work!

Sue Reno said...

Wow, these are gorgeous! I feel the same way; spoonflower will not replace printing my own, but is a useful supplement, especially for yardage.
I look forward to seeing what you do with these.

wen Redmond said...

Very nice- I love seeing my designs and photo's printed on fabric!

Diane D. said...

Thanks, ladies, for all the nice comments!

Lyric, I ordered one yard pieces. They have a number of options for repeats, and a tool that helps you select the repeat you want. You can order smaller quantities of fabric than one yard, and see a preview of the layout.

There's a limit on the file size you can upload, so that's another factor to consider when designing your fabric. HTH!