Tuesday, September 20, 2011

A Quilt for Cathy

Cathy Kleeman was our MD/DC/WV SAQA rep for several years, and she recently turned over the reins to Deborah Boschert and me. We decided to give Cathy a small quilt as a token of our appreciation.

We're all in another group called Metrothreads, which coincidentally has been working on an exhibit of small, matted works. Deborah and I decided that the little quilt should be matted like the Metrothreads pieces. I decided to finish up a piece I'd started back in July.  I knew I wanted to add "more", but I wasn't sure what that "more" was. I eventually added a salmony/orange flower that echoed the shape of the purple asters.


 Here it is with the quilting finished, and a few french knots. You can see the chalk lines where I marked the area to trim to fit in the mat. (Sorry, no photo in the mat.)

And here's the closeup. I quilted this piece in a looser style than I usually use, and it was fun - I'll definitely be trying that again.

So thank you, Cathy, for your years of service, and I hope you like the quilt!

The Metrothreads Trunk Show has turned into quite a nice exhibit. You can see it at Seminole Sampler in Catonsville, Maryland now through October 31, 2011.

3 comments:

Gerrie said...

I am sure Cathy will love this. I do! the colors are fantastic.

Vivika said...

Lovely, and yes, I like the quilting, too. Subtle echoes of ripling water...

Diane Doran said...

Thank you, ladies! Sometimes a little departure from our norm can be fun.