Thursday, August 02, 2012

Kaleidoscope Fun Part 3

Last week I shared some fun ways that I use kaleidoscopes in quilt designs. In Part 1 I showed how I create kaleidoscopes using Kaleidoscope Kreator, then import them back into the program to create a new look. In Part 2 I showed how to use a kaleidoscope with a simple layer to create a medallion center for a quilt.

As easy and fun as those two techniques are, what I most enjoy is using kaleidoscopes as part of digital collages. When I made my DVD, Digital Collage for Quilt Design, the one thing that I most wanted folks to take away from it was that you can use any image - photo, scanned documents or objects, drawings, paintings etc. - as part of a digital collage. If you look at my quilts (here and here) you'll see that I certainly use photographs in my collages, but also a variety of other image types.

Using a variety of image types in your digital collages can add texture, depth, and a more painterly looking result. It's really a way to personalize your art! In all the examples below I imported the kaleidoscopes into Photoshop and combined them with other images.

So how have I used kaleidoscopes in digital collages? Let's see
This background was created by heavily manipulating a feathered kaleidoscope, then copying it three times and arranging the images in a square.

Here the kaleidoscope has been cropped and used as a background for a silhouette. It's a very graphic look.
Again, a heavily manipulated kaleidoscope used as a background. Doesn't it remind you of a batik?
Using various transparencies for the kaleidoscope layers creates a fill for the butterfly, as well as the "frame" of feathers.
The "fancy" part of the background kaleidoscope was selectively removed, leaving a graphic, sun like design.
Yet another heavily manipulated kaleidoscope forms the background.
The "sprig" layer is placed on a kaleidoscope background. Because of the transparency of the "sprig" layer the background acts as a fill for the buds. I could easily extract the black background and use this design element on a different composition.

I love symmetry, but for my collages my focal point is generally not the kaleidoscope. As you can see I instead use them as  background elements, fills,  or textures. The framing effect a kaleidoscope can add to a composition is particularly appealing to me.

I hope you've enjoyed this series of posts - they were certainly fun for me! I'd love to hear how you use kaleidoscopes in your quilts too.


Anonymous said...

Received my video and am anxious to try your tech out. Looks complicated, bt I'll try.
So beautiful.

Diane Doran said...

Thanks Barb, I hope you enjoy the DVD! I'm sure you'll do great - just be sure to save anything you like. I approach the process as a time to play and experiment - have fun with it!

Amy Art Quilter & Fyber Cafe said...

I love what you are doing in photoshop!! That's what I want to do. I've been trying really hard to put in the time to learn it, but there is so much. I guess I'll just have to "play" more. Thank you for a great blog.