Friday, November 25, 2011

Time to Sew! (and Craft)

1/24/12 Edited to Add:

This post has links to tutorials I've written. I'll add to the list as new tutorials are available - enjoy!

Updated 12/17/2013 - a new tutorial and an update to the stockings tutorial! Scroll to the bottom to see them.

Updated 11/6/2015 - Links have changed for projects on the Quilting Arts Website.

OK, it's Black Friday, and you're not going to see me at a mall. As the holidays approach my first instinct is not to figure out what I can buy, but what I can make. Luckily there are several people in my life (most notably my sister) who truly appreciate it when I make a gift for them.

I find myself perusing the internet to find holiday sewing and crafting ideas, and this year it occurred to me that I've never put the links to all the projects I've designed (that are available free) in one place. So here they are!


1. Junior Legal Pad Cover/Folio - also from Quilting Arts Gifts 2009/2010 and Quilting Arts TV Episode 805 - I've made this gift for a variety of people, and keep one in my purse at all times. The cover and flap provide just enough room for you to try out a little surface design or applique.


2. Personalized Tote - Shown on Quilting Arts TV Episode 810
I had a great time designing this little tote/purse using designs I created using Kaleidoscope Kreator . Of course you could use any fabric, commercial or of your own design, for the flap. On one of the samples I even went crazy and did some hand embroidery - uncharacteristic for me, but fun!



3. Esther's Tote - My basic, go to tote design. I've made it in a variety of fabrics, from sophisticated to girly, and get complements every time.

If you make any projects from these tutorials I'd love to see pictures of them!

So are you going to be sewing today, or shopping?

Happy sewing!

Updates: 12/5/12
4.  These are some cute mini-stockings that I designed for last year's Quilting Arts Gifts.

I love them as embellishments for gifts


I originally designed them to hang on a swag
Add numbers to the clothespins and use them as an advent calendar
Yesterday (12/4/12) this project was featured on Quilting Daily, so if you'd like to make your own mini-stockings, head *here* to get the directions. OR - head *here* to this downloadable version that was added to Quilting Arts TV projects on 12/17/2013.

5. Though not Christmasy, these water bottle slings make easy gifts, especially for kids (so they can carry their own!).

 They were originally in 101 Patchwork Projects + Quilts, but I also showed how to make them on Quilting Arts TV episode 910, and the directions are *here*. NOTE: As of 11/6/15 They do require you to log in to Quilting Arts to Access these directions.

6. If you're looking for more technique oriented info, there are many great articles available on the Machine Quilting Unlimited Web Extras! page. In particular, if you're interested in learning how to quilt feathers, check out the links to my article on feathers, as well as Judy Woodworth's.


7. Added 12/17/13  I'm never without my phone, so this project may very well be my favorite. It's a little cell phone holder with a pocket for carrying your I.D. or credit cards. Check it out *here*.


9 comments:

Candied Fabrics said...

I love those bookmarks! Genius!

Vivika said...

SEWING!!! I do not love the buying and binging at the mall this time of year, and I have been quite productive today instead. I finished two commission piecies and made three ATC's for my "bonus" give away for Fiber Art For a Cause. I'm with you- if I can make something for a friend or family member, it means so much more...

I think I'll share a few free patterns, too. Nice post, Diane!

Diane Doran said...

Thanks, ladies! Can't wait to see what you two come up with this holiday season.

Kristin L said...

I'm a little late to the party, but I just wanted to say how gorgeous I think these projects are. I especially like the folios and kaleidoscope clutches! They show off your printed fabrics perfectly.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lin said...

Thought I should let you know that the link for the bookmarks leads to a different eBook at Quilting Daily's site. I tracked down Pokey's blog from Sept 2010 where the eBook appeared but those links take me to the same wrong destination.
I've sent them a comment as well so hopefully it can be fixed.

Lin said...

Your bookmark pattern is no longer available through Quilting Daily - here's the response I got:

"L G (F+W Media Cust. Service)
Mar 26 08:05

Hello,

I looked into this ebook and it appears we no longer have it hidden away anywhere. Because of storage space issues, occasionally items will get removed from our database. Hopefully you can find similar ideas in the new book.

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.

Regards,
L G
F+W Media"

Any chance of you providing it directly? Thanks.

Diane Doran said...

Lin - I've been trying to reach you but your blogger profile doesn't have an email address associated with it. Please email my directly - info@dianedoran.com. Thanks!

joy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.